Friday, August 13, 2010

Farm Fresh


Farm Fresh

Be present at our table, Lord;
Be here and everywhere adored;
Thy creatures bless and grant that we
May feast in Paradise with Thee.
John Cennick, Moravian deacon (1741)

Down the road from Paradise, Pennsylvania the corn is as high as an elephant’s eye and ripe for the picking. With all the roadside stands the Lady-of-the-house is well supplied with farm fresh odds and ends.  Meals must be made all the time. To keep motivated the Lady-of-the-house will surround perpetual kitchen chores with romantic notions.

On summer Saturdays the Lady and Man-of-the-house shop at the Quarryville Grower’s Market with a string bag just like the one Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise carries his lettuce in. (on the pages of Beatrix Potter’s Tale of Jeremy Fisher.) And the Lady-of-the-house is never without her shopping basket. This indestructible basket (pictured in the raspberry post) was picked up ten years before at an antique/junk store for a song. She wonders how long the basket was in use (by a homemaker of the 1930s or 40s perhaps?) And how many years did it lay dormant after cars, parking lots and supermarkets replaced walking several blocks to the corner grocer. Whenever she watches period pieces such as the BBC “All Creatures Great and Small,” she takes note of the women who shop on Main Street with the same sort of shopping basket hooked on an arm.
          
            “Aren’t you the lady who shops at the health food store?” asked the dark haired Amish girl. She works at the store. She also sells her jams and relish every Saturday at the grower’s market. 
            “Yes,” replied the Lady-of-the-house and she counted out her dollars for two jars of relish. 
            “I thought so. I recognized the basket,” the girl added. The Lady-of-the-house was momentarily taken aback. Apparently basket carrying made her unusual but she knew no insult was intended. Distinctive, that’s a nicer term, she consoled herself.
The Amish girl would have made a pretty picture. The Man-of-the-house, however, at his wife’s reminder, took a photograph of the jars with the girl and her sisters standing aside, to respect their religious beliefs.




Local produce and grass fed beef, all organically raised by Lime Valley Mill, is sold in the stand next-door. The girls in the photograph set up attractive tables with free recipes provided and are always cheerful to the Basket-Lady (her shopping name). They laugh at the remarks made by her husband with the camera.



It’s a good feeling to return home with farm fresh odds-and-ends. Of course someone has to turn them into meals. This, most often, falls to the creative imagination, knowledge of nutrition, and romantic notions of the Basket-lady. She doesn’t always feel up to the task and has been known to slip into the rut of her stand-by recipes. Less so in summer.   
           
  
The green beans, garlic, fresh oregano and basil, helped make a pot of  Minestrone soup.  


 Daydreaming about a relative’s stories of her recent trip to the Mediterranean, a Greek Salad covered with roasted eggplant settled the matter on another day. It made good use of the tangy muti-colored cherry tomatoes. (Click salad for a close up and you’ll see the quirky homemade napkin.)


Where was the Man-of-the-house while his wife’s feet were up, at the end of an afternoon, writing this post? He was outside at a hot grill turning onion slices, zucchini strips and grass-fed beef-burgers with long tongs. At supper the Lady-of-the-house (the name she prefers) was very appreciative.

8 comments:

  1. Love this post Karen!

    We are so blessed to be able to enjoy the bounty of fresh veggies growing so abundantly all around us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Karen,
    The Lord blessed me richly when I found your blog. I have been praying for peace. I was reminded of your past articles on Mother Culture and the need to take time for myself, to grow. Your blog is part of my growing. I love your writings and your pictures. Thank you so much for investing in the lives of other mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love reading your blog! Almost as much as the books. :)

    I had to comment because for years I took my market basket to the farmer's market and I was always surprised how many people told me it was a good idea.

    As if owning a basket was something new? :)

    My daughter always told me I may have been the only person who used a Longaberger market basket for marketing.

    These days she is a homeschooling mom who uses that basket and I now have an "ancient" Longaberger basket the same shape, purchased at Goodwill.

    It actually looks like someone used it as I do, to bring in veggies from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love reading your blog! Almost as much as the books. :)

    I had to comment because for years I took my market basket to the farmer's market and I was always surprised how many people told me it was a good idea.

    As if owning a basket was something new? :)

    My daughter always told me I may have been the only person who used a Longaberger market basket for marketing.

    These days she is a homeschooling mom who uses that basket and I now have an "ancient" Longaberger basket the same shape, purchased at Goodwill.

    It actually looks like someone used it as I do, to bring in veggies from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so much enjoy your writings, it speaks of Peace, Peace , and more Peace. Just returned last eve from a week in Lancaster County, and your pictures say it so well. May you be blessed as you serve God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, you have spoken words of encouragement and inspiration.
    What a wonderful blog and lovely salad!
    That countryside picture is just gorgeous.
    I enjoy your writings so much.
    What a blessing you have been in my life through your books and now your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I acidentally came across you blog today. I have been reading you book, "The Charlotte Mason Companion" for the 4 th time (the first time was 9 years ago). Over the years I've applied much of what I read, including narration, dictation and the use of Living books. This year I've determined to incorporate three things that we've done very little of: nature notebooks, music appreciation and picture study. Thank you so much for everything. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deanna,
    It is indeed a blessing living here, I agree.

    Julia,
    Life brings unsettling and uncertain situations doesn't it? I understand the need to pray for peace. Yes, nourishing your soul so that it will grow is an important part of Mother Culture. I am happy to contribute in some small way.

    Brenda,
    Oo, another person with a market basket, wonderful. Since this post I came across another basket that is larger. Wow, how dusty it was. Lots of suds and scrubbing got it clean. It sat in the hot sun to dry. Now it is almost a good as new (whenever that was.)

    Christie,
    Nigel took the photo of the countryside while standing on Eden Road, around the corner from our house. I'd like to share more photos of Lancaster. Thank you for your compliments.

    Applying Miss Charlotte Masons methods to your homeschool gradually is wise. This is what Carol did in my stories. And to adapt and modify over time is to be expected. It is good to hear that Companion is a reference.
    Thank you ladies for all your comments.
    Karen Andreola

    ReplyDelete